So, the other week I was pondering what I should make next. As it happens, I didn’t make any of the things I had under consideration, but went with completing a UFO and completing a Monthly Stitch challenge instead.
Things have been quiet on this here blog since then – I have not been entirely idle on the sewing front, but I have not actually completed anything, deciding to add to my UFO pile instead (1 out, 2 in…) and start on my most ambitious project to date.
I was given the pattern for my birthday (back in May), with the idea that I would have time to make a coat for the Autumn. Well, Summer was all about easing myself into this sewing lark and knocking out a few frocks. This coat has been on my ever-evolving list since May, but has always been a bit daunting (and I can make an Anna in the time it’ll take to cut this boy out!), but Autumn is now well and truly upon us, so it is time for me to jump in there.
I got the fabric way back when. It is a water repellant micro fibre in a rich, slightly plummy navy. I apologise for the quality of the following images, but the light in my house is shocking (I am sure I am probably developing Gollum-esque eyes from living in constant gloom).
I don’t know about you, but in my opinion one of the functions of a coat is to keep you warm. I am not convinced that this fabric is going to cut the mustard in that department, so (because making a coat is not challenge enough), I am going to underline it, too.
I was originally going to use the toile fabric on the left; It’s a med – heavy weight upholstery cotton that I bought to make an Elizalex, but the pattern is really too large and widely spaced for a dress (it was a cheapie from ebay); I’d be happy enough with it as a lining, though.
But then I bought the checked fabric on the right. It is a polyviscose and was sold (online) as having a “wool-like feel”. I’d go more with a brushed cotton (or flannel) type feel, but either way it is soft and drapey and just a bit snuggly and I think would just make the coat that bit cosier.
My only problem with this decision is that I had other plans for the check. I wanted to make a button down shirt or a winter shirtdress (maybe a Hawthorn?) and I am currently on a fabric embargo, so if I use it for this I am not allowed to replace it!
So what do I do? Go for the better lining option, but be left with a toile de jouy that I have no other use for, or go with the inferior lining, but have some lovely fabric left. (If you chose to give me your opinion on this it might be worth bearing in mind that I do have approximately 2,745 other projects on my to-do list that I already have the fabric/pattern for, just not the time…).
Anyhoo – whatever I decide I am definitely making this coat, and to encourage myself I am planning on a daily progress post. I’m not going to be giving tutorials or anything – other, much more skilled seamstresses than I have already shared their wisdom with the world (though if I have any brilliant insights I will certainly divulge them) and all I’ll be doing is following the instructions – but I have a feeling that this is going to be a real challenge for me and I hope that updating my progress will keep me from giving up!
Right then. Let’s go make a coat. Wish me luck!