Well, this blouse has been a long time coming.
It’s a Colette Sencha and I must have started it getting on for 2 years ago. For a long time it sat around as a UFO (all done but for the hem) and then earlier this year it became a CFO (Crappily finished object).
One of the main problems with it was that I made it a size or so too large – and I have lost some weight since I first cut it out…
This is what it looked like before today’s surgery.
However, even without the size problem I had never really been satisfied with the way it had gone together. It is made out of some kind of slippery viscose (?) which frays (and slides) like buggery. I’d used french seams, and when it came to those armholes I could not work out what to do – you have that side seam which doubles back on itself and I could not see how to tuck it all in neatly.
And this is how the bottom of my armhole looked earlier today, which is why although finished this blouse had never really felt done.
So, when I made my first Anna earlier this year and was constructing a similar kimono sleeve on a french-seamed bodice it was a real lightbulb moment when I got to the instruction to finish the armhole before the side seam (followed by a swift self-kicking moment for not realising this sooner).
So, the time had come to unpick and re-sew. I took about 4 inches off the sides and now, with neater pits, it is at last a wearable item. And I couldn’t be more pleased about that.