First of all I wanted to share the news of my recent good fortune. About a week ago I opened my email to find a message from the lovely Louise over at A Make Parade telling me I had won a giveaway on her blog. The prize was a metre of the Liberty Tana lawn of my choosing, courtesy of Susan at Sewbox. Obviously I was over the moon; though I have been known to cop a sneaky feel of Liberty lawn when passing it in shops I have never managed to purchase any (I am still basically a learner and feel that I should not yet have moved on from training fabrics – e.g. those which cost under £10/m; preferably a lot under!), so I spent a happy 20 minutes choosing my prize. I ended up with this:
A metre of Takashi Pink, with a bonus gift of 8 cute buttons. I mean, though, how do you chose from all of the prints available. In the end I just had to stop second guessing myself and went with something which would go with other separates I already own (and some separates I own the materials to make). I already know what I’ll be making and I am really looking forward to working with this fabric. In the meantime, though, did you see what Louise did with her Liberty print? Go on – have a look now. Super cute way to refresh an old favourite!
Anyway – some of you might know that I have been working on a coat recently. And it is finished (except the hem could do with a good press!). Since my last post I spent the best part of a day sewing on the buttons, then removing the buttons and sewing them on in the correct place and generally tidying it up inside and out. I then wanted to finish it yesterday, but overnight someone removed half my brain and replaced it with damp sand, so I took yesterday off. But this morning all I had to do was to put on the belt loops and I was done.
After all the anticipation you would think, would you not, that I would make an effort with the pictures… yeah, right! Same old garden shots, I’m afraid:
As you can see, I went with wooden buttons, after discarding my first ones. (The lady who runs the haberdashery on the market was quite taken aback: “you want 13? they are 55p – each!” she said – as if I might have thought it was 55p for the whole transparent box thingy. (a calculator was employed) “That is £7.15“. I don’t know what the average spend on buttons is in Halifax, but it is clearly considerably less that £7.15…).
Now, of course, there are things I am not happy with; my flaps could lie flatter, my collar could sit better, my sleeve caps could be smoother, my lining could line up better, my buttonholes could be neater… I think you get the message, but overall I am pretty pleased with the coat. It does look better in real life than in photos; in these pics it looks a much brighter blue and it also looks a bit lumpy in places.
And whilst the blame for all the imperfections firmly belongs with me, the credit for getting it made at all must be shared with everybody who has been kind enough to take an interest in my progress and add encouragement and advice in my comments. And I ain’t gonna list everybody, but a special shout must go to Amanda at Sew Deputy, who is making her own trench right now (and I had to get this one done first – I have a feeling Amanda’s is going to be so fab I would’ve been to embarrassed to finish this one had I seen hers completed beforehand), but also thanks to Beth, Ali, Lizzy, Jenny, Laurie, Wendy, Silvia, Catja and everyone else (get a grip, woman – you’ve not won a bleedin’ Oscar!)
Anyhoo – I suppose I’d better put up the compulsory lining shot: